Tex-Mex Chicken with Zucchini
¾ tsp, or to taste
½ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
12 oz, cut into 2-in chunks
1½ tsp, divided
1 medium, chopped
1 large, halved lengthwise, sliced into 1/2-in thick slices
Frozen corn kernels
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, in sauce
⅓ cup(s), fresh, chopped
- In a small cup, combine oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Place chicken in a bowl and toss with 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture; reserve remaining spice mix.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and sauté until lightly browned but still crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and corn to skillet; sauté until zucchini is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and reserved spice mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in diced tomatoes and their sauce; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add chicken and 1/4 cup water (to prevent chicken from sticking to pan); cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until chicken is cooked through about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro; serve. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.