Quinoa “fried rice” by Millie Peartree
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cup(s), or vegetable broth
Low sodium soy sauce
Extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp, divided
1 small, chopped
3 medium, sliced, divided
4 clove(s), minced
½ tsp, freshly grated
2 large egg(s), whisked in a small bowl
Frozen peas and carrots
1 cup(s), thawed
- Rinse quinoa with cold water until the water runs clear. Drain quinoa well.
- In a medium saucepan, bring drained quinoa and broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Transfer quinoa to a plate or sheet pan, and cool completely in refrigerator or freezer.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add 2 scallions, garlic, and ginger to pan. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and cooled quinoa to pan. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add reserved sauce to pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
- Make a well in center of quinoa and pour whisked eggs in well. Scramble eggs with a wooden spoon until cooked through. Add thawed vegetables, toss to coat, and warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary. Garnish with remaining chopped scallion.
- Serving size: 1/2 cup