Lamb, apricot, and chickpea tagine
4½ tsp, ras el hanout, or curry powder
Uncooked lean and trimmed lamb leg(s)
16 oz, 4 (4-ounce) lamb shanks, trimmed
1 medium, chopped
3 medium clove(s), minced
Canned beef broth
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
Dried apricot halves
12 halves, quartered
Cooked whole wheat couscous
⅓ cup(s), chopped fresh
¼ cup(s), (arils)
- Sprinkle 11/2 teaspoons ras el hanout and salt all over lamb.Set aside.
- Press Sauté on 6-quart Instant Pot. When Hot is displayed, add oil and onion; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon ras el hanout and cook, stirring, 1 minute; add broth. Arrange lamb shanks in pot. Press Cancel to turn off pot. Lock lid, making sure vent is closed.
- Press Pressure Cook and select High Pressure; set cooking time for 55 minutes. When time is up, press Cancel to turn off pot. Move steam release valve to Venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove lid and stir in chickpeas and apricots.Lock lid, making sure vent is closed. Press Pressure Cook and select High Pressure; set cooking time for 2 minutes.
- When time is up, press Cancel to turn off pot. Move steam release valve to Venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove lid and transfer lamb to cutting board. Cover pot. With fork, pull large chunks of lamb from bones; discard bones. Stir meat back into pot.
- Divide couscous evenly among 4 plates or shallow bowls. Spoon lamb mixture over. Sprinkle with cilantro and pomegranate seeds.
- Per serving: 1 cup stew, 1/2 cup couscous, and 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds.