This cake’s a winner. It’s like a rich devil’s food cake but it's slimmed down by adding a secret ingredient: canned sauerkraut. (Yes, you read that right.)
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup(s) regular butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup(s) hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) sauerkraut, pureed until smooth
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and 2/3 cup of cocoa. Add melted butter, hot water and vanilla extract; mix well. Add sauerkraut and blend thoroughly.
Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in center of oven until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan for about 20 minutes and then turn out onto a baking rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder before slicing into 14 pieces. Yields 1 slice per serving.
- You can easily change the flavor of this cake by adding strong coffee instead of the hot water or adding cayenne pepper and cinnamon with the vanilla.