Win rave reviews from kids and adults alike with these miniature cupcakes.
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray
- 18 1/4 oz unprepared packaged devil's food cake, or similar chocolate cake mix, divided
- 2 Tbsp apple butter
- 2 Tbsp water, warm (or more to yield smooth batter)
- 2 tsp almond extract, divided
- 16 oz canned sweet cherries packed in light syrup, drained (dark, pitted cherries)
- 1/3 cup(s) apple butter
- 1/2 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 24-hole mini muffin pans with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, make frosting: Mix together 1 cup cake mix, 2 tablespoons apple butter, water and 1 teaspoon almond extract until smooth (add extra water if necessary); set aside.
Place drained cherries on a paper towel. Pat cherries dry, place on cutting board and coarsely chop; set aside.
In a mixer on slow speed, combine remaining cake mix, 1/3 cup apple butter, remaining almond extract and egg substitute for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes more; stir in cherries.
Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with cherry mixture. Bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost each cupcake with 1 teaspoon reserved frosting.
Serving size: 1 cupcake
- Although we used canned cherries, when they're in season you can use 1 cup fresh, chopped, pitted Bing cherries instead.