Here's a hearty meatless meal. Enjoy it on its own or served over whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 tsp table salt, divided
- 2 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes, packed in their own juice, undrained
- 3 can(s) chickpeas, rinsed and drained (15 oz each)
- 10 oz fresh spinach, baby leaves
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juice, and chickpeas; stir to combine and mash chickpeas slightly with a potato masher.
Using tongs, toss in spinach and sprinkle mixture with water; cook, covered, until spinach is wilted, tossing mixture once half-way through, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.
- Throw in 1/4 teaspoon cayenne to turn up the heat.