Swap in regular canned diced tomatoes to turn down the heat.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s), chopped uncooked onion(s)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire roasted-variety, drained
- 20 oz uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 6 Tbsp shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
- 12 chip(s) tortilla chips, crushed
Heat oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat.
Add onion and salt; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, 5-10 minutes.
Add garlic, jalapeno, and chili powder; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, and lime juice; stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until chicken breasts are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Remove chicken from soup and shred with 2 forks; return chicken to pot with cilantro.
Serve soup garnished with cheese and tortilla chips.
Serving size: 1 ½ cups soup, 1 Tbsp cheese, 2 chips