- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), peeled and smashed
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, (2 Tbsp)
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cut lengthwise into thick stripsTo make the salsa:
- 2 cup(s) fresh cherry tomato(es), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped, green and white parts
- 1 small jalapeño pepper(s), cored, seeded and minced (don't touch seeds with bare hands)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional (see note below)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked red onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper(s), thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper(s), thinly sliced
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 medium whole wheat tortilla(s)
In a medium-size glass bowl, combine garlic, red pepper flakes, chili powder, lime juice, salt and pepper; add chicken to bowl and stir well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanhwhile, to make salsa, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, red pepper flakes, lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside to allow flavors to blend.
Coat a large, heavy-bottomed nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add onion and peppers, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes; spoon vegetables into a small serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
Add oil to same skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and any marinade remaining in bowl, but discard garlic (juices will sizzle so be careful of splattering liquid). Cook chicken until well-browned on bottom, about 3 minutes; flip chicken and cook until browned on second side, about 3 minutes more. If chicken is not cooked through, reduce heat to low and cook an additional 2 or 3 minutes.
To serve, place 3 ounces of chicken strips on each tortilla; top with about 1/2 cup of vegetables and 1/2 cup of salsa. Yields 1 fajita per serving.
- If you’re short on time, substitute 1 cup of store-bought salsa for the fresh salsa (could affect SmartPoitns value).