Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
- Total Time
Here's a comfort-food classic, a dish that's sure to get everyone to the table the minute it comes out of the oven.
uncooked turkey sausage(s)¾ pound(s), spicy-variety, casings removed
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, chopped
green pepper(s)1 medium, chopped
canned diced tomatoes28 oz
frozen green peas10 oz, thawed
canned tomato paste2 Tbsp
dried oregano1 tsp
dried basil1 tsp
dried thyme½ tsp
fennel seed½ tsp
table salt½ tsp, or to taste
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground
uncooked whole wheat pasta12 oz, ziti, cooked according to package directions
shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese6 oz
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.