Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
uncooked sweet potato(es)
1 small, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
⅛ tsp(s), or to taste
⅛ pinch, freshly ground, or to taste
uncooked red onion(s)
½ cup(s), chopped, chopped
2 clove(s), medium, minced
uncooked baby carrots
6 medium, chopped
uncooked turkey sausage(s)
20 oz, sweet Italian-variety, casings removed
¼ pinch, freshly ground
canned tomato soup made with low fat milk
10¾ fl oz
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil; boil until fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain potatoes; return potatoes to pan. Mash potatoes with buttermilk and garlic powder until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add carrots; sauté 1 minute. Remove vegetables from skillet; set aside.
- Add sausage to skillet; sauté until browned, breaking up sausage as it cooks with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet; stir to combine. Add oregano, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper; cook 1 minute. Add soup; simmer until liquid is absorbed and mixture is thick, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and spoon mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over turkey mixture and spread into an even layer using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake until filling is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.