Turkey Breast Roulade with Apple, Corn Bread and Sausage
1 tbsp(s), divided
1 medium, Gala variety, peeled, finely chopped
1 stalk(s), large, finely chopped
½ cup(s), yellow variety, finely chopped
⅞ tsp(s), divided
Sweet Italian sausage
5 oz, casing removed
1 tbsp(s), fresh, finely chopped
3½ oz, prepared/store-bought, crumbled (about 1 cup)
2 tbsp(s), falt-leaf, finely chopped
2 tbsp(s), high quality
⅛ tsp(s), freshly ground, or to taste
Uncooked skinless turkey breast
2 pound(s), butterflied and flattened to 1/2-inch thickness
- In a large skillet with lid, heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat. Add apple, celery, onion and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook, covered, stirring once or twice, until mixture is tender, 8-10 minutes. Add sausage and rosemary; continue cooking (uncovered), stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage into small bits with a wooden spoon, until sausage is cooked through, 5-7 minutes more. Remove pan from heat; stir in corn bread, parsley, maple syrup, 1/2 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Transfer to a large plate to cool.
- Lay turkey breast flat and season with 1/4 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Spread corn bread filling on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Starting at one long side, roll up turkey jelly-roll style, and secure with kitchen twine if necessary. (Roulade can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack in middle. Drizzle remaining 2 tsp oil over roulade; roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165ºF, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove roulade from oven; transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes. Slice crosswise into 8 thick or 16 thin pieces; serve.
- Serving size: 1 thick slice or 2 thin slices