Tempeh chili verde
1 medium, chopped
4 medium, fresh, husks removed, quartered
6 medium, chopped
1 medium, seeded and quartered
½ cup(s), leaves
Canned green chili peppers
4 oz, diced
3 clove(s), medium
Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Fat free salsa
1 cup(s), mild or medium green variety
Shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
Light sour cream
1 sprig(s), for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and crumble the tempeh into the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the cumin, sugar, and salt. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, puree the tomatillos, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro leaves, green chiles, garlic, and chipotle chile in a food processor.
- Stir the tomatillo mixture, the water, and salsa into the saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended and the chili thickens slightly, about 40 minutes.
- Serve the chili in bowls, topped with the cheese, sour cream, and cilantro sprigs.
- Yields 2 cups chili and 11⁄2 tablespoons each cheese and sour cream per serving.