Sweet Breakfast Rolls
Fat free evaporated milk
½ cup(s), warmed to 110 to 115°F
2 tsp(s), active dry
2½ cup(s), plus more for flouring
¾ cup(s), divided
Packed light brown sugar
Low fat cream cheese
¼ cup(s), (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
Powdered sugar (icing sugar)
3 tbsp(s), sifted
Plain unsweetened almond milk
- In bowl, stir evaporated milk, yeast, and granulated sugar. Let stand until yeast appears foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, stir 2 cups flour and salt. Add yeast mixture, 1⁄2 cup applesauce, and vanilla. Using fork, continue mixing until dough becomes shaggy. Mix in just enough remaining flour to make dough slightly stiff. Transfer to lightly floured work surface. Knead dough, gradually adding remaining flour if dough is too sticky to handle, until smooth and slightly tacky, 3 to 4 minutes. Coat large bowl with nonstick spray. Transfer dough to bowl. Cover with damp cloth and let dough rise in warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spray small baking sheet with nonstick spray. In small bowl, stir remaining 1⁄4 cup applesauce, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Roll dough out to 24-by-61⁄2-inch rectangle. Spread cinnamon applesauce over dough. Starting from 1 long side, roll up dough tightly into log. Slice crosswise into 24 rolls. Carefully transfer rolls to baking sheet, arranging side-by-side in rows, cut-side up. Cover pan with damp cloth and let rolls rise in warm, draft-free area for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls until puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn on broiler. Broil rolls until golden brown on top, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using electric mixer, in another small bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Gradually add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired thickness is reached. Spoon icing over hot rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving size: 2 mini cinnamon rolls