Super meatball subs
Uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
½ cup(s), Italian-flavour
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), such as Parmigiano-Reggiano
Canned tomato sauce
20 oz, about two 10-inch loaves
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oven racks in top 1/3 of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil that’s been coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, egg, Italian seasoning and salt. Using a tablespoon to scoop out turkey mixture, gently shape a tablespoon of mixture into a small meatball and place on a prepared baking sheet; repeat with remaining ingredients to make 32 meatballs. Bake, shaking pans every 5 minutes to promote even browning, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, slice each loaf of bread into four equal pieces.
- When meatballs are done, remove from baking sheets. Place bread on same baking sheets; top each piece with 4 meatballs. Spoon about 3 tablespoons sauce over meatballs in each sandwich; top each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sandwiches are heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Yields 1 sandwich per serving.