Stuffed Peppers with Mediterranean-Spiced Quinoa
1 tsp, extra-virgin
1 small, yellow, diced
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, Italian-style, undrained
Sweet red pepper(s)
10 medium, kalamata, chopped
Chickpeas (15 oz)
1 cup(s), rinsed and drained
Store-bought pesto sauce
Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and kosher salt; cook, stirring occasionally until onion softens, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic to pan; cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Add tomatoes and their liquid, quinoa, water and table salt to pan; stir well to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice top off each pepper and remove core, ribs and seeds; reserve tops for another use. Make a thin slice across bottom of each pepper so it sits flat; place on prepared baking sheet.
- When quinoa is done cooking, stir in olives, chickpeas and pesto.
- Spoon about 1 cup quinoa mixture into each pepper; bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each with 4 teaspoons feta; return to oven and continue cooking until feta is slightly melted, about 5 minutes more. Yield 1 stuffed pepper per serving.