Spicy Black Bean Soup
1 medium, finely chopped
4 clove(s), large, minced
Red pepper flakes
½ tsp(s), or to taste
Canned black beans
45 oz, undrained (three 15 oz cans)
Fat free chicken broth
14½ oz, or vegetable broth
Canned tomatoes with green chilis
10 oz, (such as Rotel Tomatoes)
Canned yellow corn
11 oz, drained
- Coat bottom of large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.
- Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
- Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with sour cream.
- Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.