Spiced baked apples with vanilla sauce
4 medium, cored (use Granny Smith for tart flavour; use Gala for sweet flavour)
Fresh lemon juice
Fat-free sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
¼ oz, about 2 Tbsp
Fat free skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a vegetable peeler, peel a 1/2-inch horizontal strip around apples to help release juices during baking. Place apples in a 9 X 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine cinnamon, ginger and Splenda in a small bowl. Place 1 tablespoon of cinnamon mixture in cored-out centre of each apple, then sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Combine water and lemon juice in a cup. Pour liquid around apples.
- Bake until apples are soft when pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Pour pudding mix into a medium bowl. Whisk in milk to make a fairly thin sauce. Place one apple on a plate and drizzle with sauce.
- Yields 1 apple and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.