Spaghetti with Creamy Butternut Squash
Frozen winter butternut squash
7 cup(s), cubed, coupée en cubes
4 clove(s), large, 2 cloves left whole, 2 cloves finely chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
4 large, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
Grated Pecorino cheese
½ tsp(s), freshly ground
Uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
¼ cup(s), or parsley, thinly sliced
- In a large pot filled with salted, boiling water, add squash and 2 whole cloves garlic. Cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or small strainer, remove squash and garlic from cooking water to a food processor; process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chopped garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add pureed squash and ½ cup squash cooking water; stir to combine. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper; remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Bring pot with squash cooking water to a boil; cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water; drain pasta and add to saucepan with squash sauce. Gently toss to coat pasta, adding ¼ cup reserved pasta water to thin (or more, if desired).
- Garnish with sage or parsley; serve immediately.
- Serving size: about 3/4 cup