Spaghetti with butternut squash, white beans, and kale
uncooked butternut squash
8 cup(s), peeled, seeded, cut in ½-in cubes
2 clove(s), medium, smashed
4 tsp(s), divided
1¼ tsp(s), divided
uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, thinly sliced
3 cup(s), thinly sliced, Lacinato variety
canned white beans
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
apple cider vinegar
¼ cup(s), toasted
grated Pecorino Romano cheese
4 leaf/leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss squash with garlic, 1 Tbsp oil, and 1/4 tsp salt on a rimmed baking sheet; spread in an even layer and roast until tender, 20-25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1 ½ cups cooking water.
- Transfer 2 cups squash to a food processor; add 1 cup reserved cooking water and process until smooth.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until just softened, 3 minutes. Add kale; sauté until wilted, 4 minutes. Add beans, drained spaghetti, reserved squash, squash puree, vinegar, pepper, and remaining 1 tsp salt; stir well to combine. For a looser sauce, add extra reserved pasta cooking water a little at a time, for desired consistency. Cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topped with walnuts, cheese, and sage.