Smashed carrots with parmesan
Sweet, tender carrots get the “smashed potatoes” treatment in this recipe. They’re cut into chunks, steamed until tender, smashed to flatten, and roasted until crisp. A finishing sprinkle of Parmesan adds savoury richness and enhances the crunchy effect.
1 pound(s), medium to large, cut into 3/4-inch-long pieces
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp(s), chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place the carrots in a steamer basket; set the basket in a saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover the pan, and steam the carrots until tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the carrots to the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with the oil, and sprinkle with the salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Spread the carrot pieces out evenly over the pan; press on each carrot piece with the bottom of a jar or mug to flatten. Bake until browned and crisp around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the carrots. Bake until the cheese crisps, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the carrots with parsley, if desired.
- Serving size: about ⅓ cup