Slow-Cooker Shredded Beef
TruLOCAL Sirloin Tip Roast
home-prepared beef stock
½ cup(s), or water
canned unsalted tomato paste
- In a small bowl, mix spices and salt together to create a rub.
- Using your hands, rub the spice mix onto the roast on all sides. Ensure that the beef is well covered.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, melt butter and sear roast on all sides. You simply want to cook the roast for 30 seconds per side to sear in all of the juices and enhance the flavour of the spices. You can skip this step, but the flavour won’t be exactly the same.
- Transfer the seared meat to a slow cooker, and add in the rest of the ingredients to the pot. The meat will not be covered in broth, this is totally fine. More juices will run out as it the meat cooks down.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and allow to cook for 8-10 hours. The meat will be done when it easily falls apart.
- Once cooked, remove the meat from the slow cooker and transfer to a cutting board. (Do not throw out the leftover liquid in the slow cooker.) Using two forks, pull the beef apart until it is all shredded.
- Depending on your slow cooker, the remaining liquid in the slow cooker might be thick or liquidy. If it is very runny, quickly transfer the liquid to a saucepan and cook on high for 5-10 minutes until the water has evaporated and the sauce has thickened. The leftover sauce will be used as an extra marinade for the beef.
- Transfer the shredded beef back into the leftover sauce and toss well to combine.
- The beef can be served immediately, stored in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for several months.