Slow cooker lasagna
uncooked 93% lean ground beef
1 small, chopped
1 clove(s), medium, minced
canned crushed tomatoes
canned tomato sauce
crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp, or to taste
part-skim ricotta cheese
shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1½ cup(s), divided
uncooked lasagna noodles
6 item(s), no-cook
shredded parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), strong-flavored like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes. Yields 1/6th of dish per serving.