Slow cooker lasagna stew
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
1 small, chopped
1 clove(s), large, minced
Canned crushed tomatoes
Canned tomato sauce
Crushed red pepper flakes
¼ gm, or to taste
Part-skim ricotta cheese
Part-skim mozzarella cheese
1½ cup(s), shredded, shredded, divided
Uncooked lasagna noodles
6 item(s), no-cook
Shredded parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), strong-flavoured like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavours to blend.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover; turn off heat and season to taste, if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes. Yields 1/6th of dish per serving.