Shredded Chicken Enchilada Casserole
3 cup(s), chopped, divided
1 pound(s), sliced 1/4-in thick
2 medium, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4-in thick
1½ tsp(s), divided
Canned diced tomatoes
28 oz, fire-roasted (undrained)
Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 item(s), chopped (optional)
4 clove(s), medium, smashed
Cooked skinless boneless chicken breast(s)
12 oz, shredded with two forks
18 item(s), 4-in each
Shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
Reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven 425°F. Coat a 9- X 13-in baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add 2 cups onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, zucchini and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 15-20 minutes.
- While vegetables cook, make sauce. Put tomatoes, chipotle, remaining 1 c onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and remaining 1 tsp salt into a blender; puree.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a medium mixing bowl; stir in chicken and 1 cup tomato sauce.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish; top with 6 overlapping tortillas. Sprinkle with half chicken mixture and 1/2 cup cheese; top with 6 more tortillas, remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 c cheese. Top with remaining 6 tortillas; spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until golden and bubbling, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let sit 5-10 minutes. Serve each piece with 1 Tbsp sour cream.
- Serving size: 1/12th of casserole and 1 Tbsp sour cream