Senegalese Peanut Stew with Spinach and Sweet Potatoes
Olive oil cooking spray
2 medium, roughly chopped
1 medium, cored and roughly chopped
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
½ small, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium, peeled and thinly sliced
2 clove(s), medium, minced
2 Tbsp, fresh, minced
Fat free vegetable broth
4 cup(s), reduced-sodium
Reduced sodium peanut butter
6 Tbsp, natural, creamy variety
8 cup(s), leaves, stemmed, packed, chopped
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potato, carrots and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the ginger, cloves, salt and cayenne; cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer slowly, stirring once in a while, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the spinach; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Yields about 1 2/3 cups per serving.