Rustic Roasted Ratatouille Soup
7 cup(s), diced (1 large)
2 tsp(s), divided
4½ cup(s), diced (2 medium)
Sweet red pepper(s)
3 cup(s), diced (2 large)
2 cup(s), diced (1 large)
2 clove(s), medium, minced
Crushed red pepper flakes
Canned diced tomatoes
Fat free chicken broth
½ cup(s), chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Arrange oven racks in bottom 1/3 of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread eggplant in an even layer on one prepared baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray and season with 3/4 tsp salt. Spread zucchini and peppers across second prepared pan; lightly coat with cooking spray and season with 3/4 tsp salt. Roast until lightly browned, stirring and rotating pans halfway through, 35-40 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and remaining 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring frequently, until extremely soft, 10 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel seed and Italian seasoning; cook, stirring a few times, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and broth to pot; stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.
- Add roasted vegetables to pot; stir and cook for flavors to meld, 5 minutes. Stir in basil.