Roasted Eggplant and Tomato
SmartPoints® value per serving
1 hr 8 min
Enjoy this summer recipe as a side dish, dip, pasta topping or as a sauce for your favourite lasagna.
1 medium, not peeled
½ large, peeled
2 cup(s), roughly chopped
¼ cup(s), fresh, thinly sliced (or more to taste)
Crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Coat a shallow nonstick roasting pan or baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pierce eggplant many times with a sharp knife; place on roasting pan with onion. Coat vegetables with cooking spray; roast for 30 minutes. Flip vegetables; roast for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper; set aside at room temperature until vegetables are finished cooking.
- When roasted eggplant is cool enough to handle but is still hot, slice it open and scoop out small chunks (so you do not get any skin). Add eggplant to tomato mixture; toss well.
- Next, discard outer layer of roasted onion and chop into bite-size pieces; toss with tomato mixture. Serve warm or cold. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.