Roasted Beet and Wheat Berry Salad
2 pound(s), red and/or golden, scrubbed
2½ tsp, divided
Uncooked wheat berries
Unsweetened orange juice
1 Tbsp, extra-virgin
Apple cider vinegar
½ cup(s), sliced (white and light green parts), or to taste
⅓ cup(s), flat-leaf, chopped, or to taste
Semisoft goat cheese
⅓ cup(s), crumbled
¼ tsp, or to taste
¼ pinch, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place beets on prepared baking pan; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle beets with 1/2 teaspoon salt and tightly cover with foil; roast until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow beets to cool slightly; rub with paper towels to remove skin. Dice beets or cut into thick matchsticks; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover wheat berries with 2 inches of water; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until wheat berries are tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Drain; set aside.
- While beets and wheat berries cook, in a small bowl, to make vinaigrette, combine orange juice, marmalade, oil, vinegar and remaining teaspoon salt.
- Spoon wheat berries into a serving bowl and gently toss with beets, vinaigrette, scallions and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with goat cheese; serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.