Recipe Renovation: Chocolate Eclairs
regular liquid egg substitute
1 cup(s), at room temperature, divided
instant vanilla pudding dry mix
1 package(s), 3.4 oz
2 cup(s), cold
milk chocolate chips
¾ oz, about 2 tbsp
powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- To prepare pastry shells, sift together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup milk and 1/3 cup margarine. Set pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended and mixture no longer sticks to sides of pan or spoon. Remove from heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of egg substitute and mix with a wooden spoon until blended and smooth. Add remaining egg substitute, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in 1/4 cup beaten egg whites. Fold in remaining egg whites and mix until blended.
- Transfer pastry dough to a large zip-close plastic bag (or pastry bag) and gently squeeze to remove any air. Cut one corner, making a 1/2-inch opening. Squeeze pastry onto prepared baking sheet, forming twelve 4-inch “logs” about 1/2-inch high.
- Using your fingers, splash a little water on the surface of pastries.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF and bake until golden and firm to the touch, 25 more minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
- To prepare filling, whisk pudding mix into 2 cups cold milk. Whisk until blended. Cover and refrigerate 5 minutes.
- To prepare icing, melt 1 tablespoon margarine and chocolate together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons sugar and simmer until blended and smooth, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, 3 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a medium glass bowl and cover. Refrigerate until cool, about 20 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in 2 cups powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth and thick.
- To assemble éclairs, cut pastry “logs” in half horizontally. Fill bottom half with vanilla pudding and replace top. Spread icing on top half of pastry. Serve immediately.