Ramen noodle soup with jammy eggs
Ramen noodles are in, and most well-stocked supermarkets will have a number of authentic types to choose from. We’ve packed this soup recipe with veggies, like onions, bok choy, snow peas, and carrots, and give you instructions for simmering up a super-flavourful vegetable broth that's spiked with ginger, garlic, and chili paste. Top it all off with a jammy egg and this fabulous dinner is ready. Also keep in mind that any ramen recipe is a versatile dish that you can change up with whatever you have on hand. Feel free to substitute a few ounces of diced firm tofu for the eggs if you’d prefer a vegan soup.
4 large egg(s), at room temperature
Fresh shiitake mushroom
6 oz, stems removed, caps sliced (about 3 cups)
1 medium, thinly sliced
2 clove(s), large, minced
1 tbsp(s), peeled fresh, minced
2 tsp(s), peeled fresh, minced
¼ cup(s), or to taste
Uncooked bok choy
12 oz, (2 heads) baby variety, stalks halved lengthwise and sliced
Fresh ramen noodles uncooked
½ cup(s), halved crosswise diagonally
1 medium, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 medium, sliced
½ cup(s), chopped
Garlic chili paste
2 tsp(s), or sambal oelek
- Fill medium saucepan half full of water and bring to boil over high heat. Add eggs to water and boil gently 61/2 minutes. Fill medium bowl with ice water. Add eggs and let cool 3 minutes. Carefully peel eggs and set aside.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add garlic and 1 tablespoon ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and soy sauce and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Add bok choy, noodles, snow peas, and carrot. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and noodles are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 teaspoons ginger, the scallions, and cilantro. Season with more soy sauce, if desired. Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls. Halve eggs and put 2 halves into each bowl. Top each serving with 1/2 teaspoon garlic-chili paste.
- Serving size: 2 cups soup and 1 egg