Quinoa cakes with spinach & cheese
The small grains of quinoa make it a natural for molding into crispy pan-fried cakes bound with sharp cheddar. Top with some poached or scrambled eggs and suddenly this dish is brunch-worthy.
Fresh baby spinach
Reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese made with 2% milk
½ cup(s), shredded, white, shredded
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
Whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, rinse the quinoa well under cool water. In a small saucepan, combine the drained quinoa and 11⁄8 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove the pan from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes, tossing constantly. Transfer the spinach to a medium bowl. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Add the quinoa to the bowl with the spinach. Stir in the garlic powder and salt. Add the cheeses and egg and stir until the mixture is well blended. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each into a 3-inch patty. Spread the panko on a plate. Lightly dredge the patties in the panko, pressing to adhere the crumbs.
- Add the oil to the skillet and heat on medium-high. Swirl to coat the pan with the oil. Add the patties and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Per serving (2 quinoa cakes)