White all-purpose flour
Whole wheat flour
2¾ tsp(s), or 1 envelope, quick-rise variety
2 tbsp(s), diced
- Combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, yeast, sugar, salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a food processor.
- Whisk the milk and pumpkin in a microwavable bowl and stir in the butter. Microwave on High until the butter is melted and the milk registers 120ºF–130ºF on an instant-read thermometer, 50–70 seconds. With machine running, scrape the milk mixture through the feed tube, followed by one of the eggs; pulse about 1 minute, until dough forms a smooth ball, adding 1–2 tablespoons extra all-purpose flour only if needed to form a ball.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray; put the dough in the bowl. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray. Roll the dough into a cylinder, then cut it into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to form smooth balls, dropping each into a muffin cup. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl; lightly brush the tops of the rolls with the beaten egg, and sprinkle evenly with the poppy seeds. Bake until golden, 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Yields 1 roll per serving.