Pot Roast with Gravy
1½ tbsp(s), (22 ml), sweet variety
dark brown sugar
1 tbsp(s), (15 ml)
1½ tsp(s), (7 ml)
1 pinch, (5 ml), freshly ground
uncooked lean and trimmed beef brisket
3 pound(s), (1.3 kg) washed and patted dry
olive oil cooking spray
2½ pound(s), (1.1 kg) sliced
3 small, sliced
¼ cup(s), (60 ml)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).*
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, sugar, salt and pepper; rub all over meat.
- Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over mediumhigh heat. Sear meat until wellbrowned on outside (including edges), about 3 to 5 minutes per side; remove meat and set aside. Add onions, carrots, bay leaves and water to pot, scraping bottom of pot to incorporate pan drippings. Place meat on top of vegetables and cover tightly; place in oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove pot from oven and transfer meat to a cutting board; cut meat into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Keep meat tightly packed so slices are each stacked against one another and it remains in the same shape as before you cut the meat.
- Working in batches, process vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour half of pureed gravy back into pot, carefully place meat on top and finish pouring gravy over the meat. Cover pot and place back in oven; cook for 1 more hour.
- Serving size: 4 to 5 slices meat and 125 ml (1/2 cup) gravy.