Pear Poppy Seed Cake
2 large, peeled and cored
6 tbsp(s), softened
3 egg white(s)
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat an 8-inch (20 cm) square cake pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
- In microwavable bowl, heat pears until tender, about 2 minutes on high.
- Strain 1/4 cup pear juice into measuring cup. Add buttermilk and stir in almond extract.
- Mash pears with fork until they're about the texture of applesauce.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, ginger, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter with a mixer on medium speed until light; add pear purée and mix to combine. Alternately add dry ingredients and pear juice mixture in three additions, starting with dry mixture.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites with mixer until almost stiff. Add sugar slowly and whip until stiff. In three additions, fold whites into pear mixture. Pour into pan.
- Bake until cake springs back in middle when lightly touched, about 45 minutes. Cool on rack and serve.