Old-Fashioned Jewish Pot Roast
Uncooked lean beef round
40 oz, well trimmed (use boneless bottom round rump roast)
2 large, sliced
Onion soup mix
1½ tbsp(s), or red wine vinegar
8 large, red, scrubbed and quartered (about 1 3/4 lbs)
Uncooked baby carrots
1 tbsp(s), chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a Dutch oven (a large pot with a tight fitting lid) with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle roast with pepper and salt. Place in pot and scatter onions around roast. Cook, turning roast and stirring onions occasionally, until roast and onions are browned, about 8 minutes. Pour water into pot; stir in soup mix, vinegar and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Cover and and bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Place potatoes and carrots around roast; cover and bake until roast and vegetables are tender, about 2 hours more. Remove one potato from pot and puree in a blender. Stir into gravy to thicken.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and slice against grain into 16 slices. Serve with vegetables and gravy.
- Yields about 2 slices of meat, 1 cup of vegetables and 1/4 cup of gravy per serving.