3 - 6
PersonalPoints™ per serving
This version of the Tex-Mex favourite is a fork-and-knife affair, the egg yolk running into the green salsa for an unbeatable combination.
Fat free salsa
½ cup(s), green variety (salsa verde)
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
½ cup(s), diced
1 tbsp(s), minced
Queso asadero Mexican cheese
7 tbsp(s), shredded
- Bring a large, wide saucepan or high-sided skillet of water to a full simmer over high heat.
- Reduce the heat under the water to low so that the water is at the barest simmer. Crack an egg into a custard cup or a teacup, then gently pour it into the water. Repeat with the other 3 eggs, keeping them as far apart in the pan as possible. Turn off the heat, cover and set the pot aside until the whites are firm but the yolks are a bit runny, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set a skillet over medium heat. Add the tortillas one at a time and cook until warm and pliable, turning once, about 45 seconds per side. Transfer them to 6 serving plates.
- Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons salsa verde. Divide the diced tomatoes and oregano evenly among the tortillas. Divide the cheese among the tortillas.
- Use a slotted spoon to pick up the eggs one by one, letting the excess water drain off. Set the eggs one by one on top of the prepared tortillas. Sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Yields 1 topped tortilla and 1 poached egg per serving.
For the best taste, look for these Mexican cheeses: queso Chihuahua (a creamy, white or pale-yellow cheese) or queso asadero (a mild, melty cheese).