Middle Eastern Chickpea Salad
Olive oil cooking spray
Whole wheat pita(s)
1 large, split open
¾ tsp(s), divided
½ tsp(s), divided
Fresh lemon juice
1½ tbsp(s), extra-virgin
¼ pinch, freshly ground, or to taste
Chickpeas (15 oz)
2 cup(s), rinsed and drained
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
2 cup(s), halved or quartered, yellow and/or red
⅓ medium, cut lengthwise, sliced into 1.25-cm (1/2-inch)-thi
Uncooked red onion(s)
¼ cup(s), chopped, diced
½ cup(s), fresh, coarsely chopped
Chopped romaine lettuce
6 cup(s), cut into thick shreds
- Place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or coat with cooking spray.
- Coat both sides of split pita with cooking spray; place rough side up on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with 1ml (1/4 teaspoon) each salt and cumin. Bake until crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, water, oil, remaining 2ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt, remaining 1ml (1/4 teaspoon) cumin and pepper.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and parsley; toss to coat. Let stand tossing occasionally, at least 10 minutes for flavours to blend.
- To serve, line each of four plates with 375ml (1 1/2 cups) lettuce. Top each with a slightly heaping 310ml (1 1/4 cups) chickpea mixture. Break 1/2 of each pita into small pieces over each salad. Drizzle any dressing left in bottom of bowl evenly over salads. Serve. Yields 1 salad per serving