Mexican-style brown rice casserole
Long grain cooked brown rice
Fat free salsa
Canned refried beans
Frozen corn kernels
10 oz, thawed
Canned green chili peppers
4 oz, mild, diced
Chopped frozen spinach
10 oz, or collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
Low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
¾ cup(s), divided
2 tbsp(s), fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
- In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
- Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.