1 medium, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Uncooked lean ground beef
1 small, chopped
1 clove(s), medium, finely chopped
Canned tomato sauce
⅓ cup(s), red
1 large, beaten
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place eggplant slices in a colander; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; sauté eggplant until lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is brown and onion is tender, about 4 minutes; drain off fat. Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, wine, parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, oregano and cinnamon; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir 1/4 cup of beef mixture into egg white; return to skillet, mix well. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup of tomato sauce on bottom of 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Place 1/2 of eggplant slices on top of sauce, then spoon on beef mixture; top with remaining eggplant slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.