Fat free skim milk
1 large egg(s)
1 egg white(s)
1 tbsp(s), grated (about 2 lemons)
Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 24-cup mini-muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, 3⁄4 cup of the sugar, the poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the milk, oil, egg, egg white, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter. Bake until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 10 – 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1⁄4 cup of sugar and the lemon juice in a small microwavable bowl. Microwave on High until it boils, 45 seconds to 1 minute; stir until the sugar is dissolved. With a wooden skewer, poke 5 holes in each muffin. Gradually brush the lemon syrup over the muffins, letting it soak in before brushing on more syrup. Serve the muffins warm or let cool completely.
- Yields 1 muffin per serving.