Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Uncooked sweet onions
1 medium, cut into chunks
6 medium, cut into 1 inch lengths, plus 1 scallion thinly sliced diagonally
Green hot chili peppers
1 item(s), habanero, halved and seeded
Fresh garlic scapes
2 tbsp(s), chopped and peeled
1 item(s), juiced
1½ tbsp(s), or to taste
Uncooked bone-in skin on chicken thighs
30 oz, removed skin
1 item(s), cut into wedges
- In a blender, combine onion, scallion lengths, habanero, garlic, ginger, lime juice, oil, soy sauce, molasses, jerk seasoning, and allspice; process until mixture forms a paste. Transfer 1/4 cup of paste to a cup; cover and refrigerate.
- In a large zip-close plastic bag, combine chicken and remaining seasoning paste. Squeeze out air and seal bag; massage paste onto chicken. Refrigerate 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Transfer chicken and seasoning paste to a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker. Cover; cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 hours on Low.
- Preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- With tongs, transfer chicken to prepared baking sheet. Brush top of chicken with reserved 1/4 cup seasoning paste. Spray chicken with nonstick spray. Broil until golden in spots, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with sliced scallion; serve with lime wedges.
- Per serving: 1 thigh