Italian-style pot roast
Uncooked lean beef round
48 oz, 1 (3-pound) bottom round beef roast, trimmed
1½ tsp(s), divided
White all-purpose flour
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, quartered and thinly sliced
3 clove(s), medium, minced
Dried porcini mushrooms
½ oz, (1 tbsp), finely chopped
1 tbsp(s), fresh chopped, or 3/4 tsp dried
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, 1 (14 1/2-oz) can
8 sprig(s), flat-leaf, tied together with kitchen twine
- Sprinkle roast with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Place beef on a sheet of wax paper; sprinkle with flour, gently pressing so it adheres.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, dried mushrooms, and rosemary and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker; stir in tomatoes, parsley sprigs, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and remaining 1/8 tsp pepper. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender, 4 to 6 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on Low. Remove and discard parsley sprigs. Transfer beef to a cutting board; let stand loosely covered 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour pan liquid and vegetables into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to about 2 cups.
- Cut beef against grain into 16 slices. Serve with sauce and vegetables.
- Per serving: 2 slices beef and 1/4 cup sauce with vegetables