Italian-Inspired Vegetable Barley Soup
2 tsp(s), extra-virgin
1 large, diced
1 small, chopped
¾ cup(s), diced
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, undrained
Uncooked pearl barley
½ cup(s), pearl variety
8½ oz, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 small, diced
½ cup(s), chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese
8 tsp(s), Parmigiano Reggiano recommended
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add barley, mushrooms and pepper; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is almost tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; cover and cook until barley and zucchini are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste, if desired. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese. Yields about 1 cup per serving.