Individual shakshouka baked eggs
2 tsp(s), divided
2 medium, finely diced
Sweet red pepper(s)
½ large, diced
1 clove(s), medium, minced
½ average, seeded, finely chopped
Canned tomato paste
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, petite-variety
1 tbsp(s), leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Crumbled feta cheese
- Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-hole standard muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium; sauté, 3 minutes. Add garlic and serrano; sauté, 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon and salt; stir to combine. Add diced tomatoes; simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is just thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in oregano; remove from heat. Spoon 1/4 cup tomato sauce into each hole; sprinkle 2 teaspoon feta into each hole.
- Crack an egg, one at a time, into a small ramekin or cup; gently slide an egg into each muffin hole. Bake until whites are just set, 15 minutes.
- To serve, use a large soup spoon to scoop eggs out of muffin pan and place on individual plates or a serving platter. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and chopped oregano, if desired.
- Serving size: 1 baked egg and 1/4 c sauce