½ cup(s), dark-variety preferred Counter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a metal or glass loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer; add sugar, oil and honey. Beat until combined and mixture is pale yellow; stir in applesauce and lemon zest.
- Slowly incorporate flour mixture into egg mixture using electric mixer; mix thoroughly but do not over beat.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with almonds. Bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan for about 15 to 20 minutes and then cool cake completely on a wire rack. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.