1½ tbsp(s), from one orange
Fresh lime juice
Canned mandarin oranges in light syrup
3 tbsp(s), or regular tequila
⅛ tsp(s), or to taste, optional
1 medium, cut into 12 wedges for garnish
- To prepare the orange syrup, combine the water, sugar, and zest in a small saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute (do not stir). Remove the pan from the heat; cool completely.
- Transfer to a small jar and refrigerate until ready to use; strain and discard the zest just before using.
- To prepare 2 margaritas, fill a blender with about 1 3⁄4 cups ice. Add 1⁄4 cup of the pomegranate juice and 2 tablespoons each of the orange syrup, lime juice, and mandarin oranges. Add 2 1/2 teaspoons orange-flavored liqueur and 1/2 tablespoon tequila; pulse several times until smooth and pourable.
- Divide into 2 chilled martini or other cocktail glasses, with salted rims (if using), and garnish each with a lime wedge.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 12 margaritas.