Ham & Cheese Croquettes
3 - 4
PersonalPoints™ per serving
1 hr 5 min
For our lighter version of Spanish croquettes, we combine chopped ham (or Canadian bacon) and Manchego cheese with mashed Yukon gold potatoes, then shape the mixture and coat it with panko before baking—instead of frying. They’re fantastically crisp on the outside, so you won’t miss the deep-fried bath in oil. These types of croquettes are often made with a heavy bechamel sauce as the binder, but our potato version is still creamy and much lower in fat.
Uncooked Yukon gold potato(es)
1½ pound(s), peeled and cubed
2 oz, shredded
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
Cooked lean ham
3 oz, or Canadian bacon, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with foil coated with cooking spray.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water to 2 inches above the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, and boil until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and place the potatoes in a large bowl; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the salt and cheese. Gradually stir in the egg, then the ham.
- Divide the potato mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a log-shaped patty about 4 inches long. Place the panko in a pie plate or a rimmed dinner plate. Roll the potato logs in the panko and place on the prepared pan. Coat the tops of the potato logs with cooking spray.
- Bake until the croquettes are very crisp and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Turn the broiler to high, if desired, and broil until more deeply browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 croquette