Ham and mushroom crêpes
1 hr 10 min
These thin, French-style pancakes are versatile and can be tweaked to suit any meal and even dessert with a change of the filling. The technique takes a little practice to master but is well worth knowing. To have success with crepes, you must use a nonstick pan or a well-seasoned crêpe pan to prevent sticking and to make flipping the crêpe easier. The batter should also be thin, thinner than pancake batters, so that it spreads easily in the pan. If your batter seems too thick or isn’t spreading as much as it should, whisk in water a tablespoon at a time to thin it out.
1% low-fat milk
2 large egg(s)
1% low-fat milk
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
5 tbsp(s), or sweet sherry
⅛ tsp(s), freshly ground, or to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), freshly grated, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 tbsp(s), chopped
8 oz, sliced (about 2 cups)
3 clove(s), large, minced
Cooked lean ham
6 oz, cut into 6 slices
- To prepare crêpes, combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk the milk and eggs in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk the milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Spray a small nonstick skillet or crêpe pan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Stir the batter, then pour a scant 1⁄4 cup into the skillet, tilting in all directions to form a thin, even layer. Cook until top is set and bottom is golden, 1 –1 1⁄2 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is lightly browned, 15–20 seconds. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining batter to make 6 crêpes. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and reserve.
- To prepare the filling, whisk together the milk, broth, flour, 3 tablespoons of the sherry, the nutmeg, cayenne, and pepper in a medium saucepan until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 6–7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and 1 tablespoon of parsley; cover and keep warm.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften, about 6 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons sherry and cook until the liquid evaporates, 1–2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley. Let cool slightly. Yields one crepe per serving.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Spray a 7 x 11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Arrange the crêpes side-by-side on a work surface. Lay one slice of the ham across the center of each crêpe. Spread each with 1 tablespoon of the sauce, then top with one-sixth (about 2 tablespoons) of the mushrooms. Roll up the crêpes jelly-roll style and transfer to the baking dish. Spoon the remaining sauce over the crêpes to cover. Bake until the sauce is bubbly and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Yields 1 filled crêpe per serving.