Grilled Tuna with Fennel, Orange, and Olive Salad
20 oz, 4 (5-oz tuna), steak variety (each 3⁄4 inch thick)
¾ tsp(s), divided
¼ tsp(s), divided
3 large, navel variety
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
1 item(s), large, with some fronds attached, cored, and very thinly sliced
2 medium, thinly sliced
12 large, kalamata variety, pitted and coarsely chopped
Red wine vinegar
1 tbsp(s), or parsley, chopped
- Off heat, coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray. Preheat gas grill or grill pan to medium-high, or prepare medium-high fire in charcoal grill.
- Season fish with 1⁄2 tsp salt and 1⁄8 tsp black pepper. Add fish and cook, turning once, until browned on outside but still pink in center, about 3 minutes per side for rare.
- To make salad, cut peel and all white pith from oranges. Working over medium bowl, cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl. Using slotted spoon, transfer segments to large bowl. (Reserve peel and juice for another use.)
- Add sliced fennel and fronds, scallions, olives, vinegar, oil, and remaining 1⁄4 tsp salt and 1⁄8 tsp black pepper to bowl with orange segments and toss gently to combine. Serve fish with salad.
- Serving size: 1 tuna steak and about 1 cup salad