Grilled Ham Baguette
White wine vinegar
French baguette bread
½ loaf/loaves, medium, cut into 2 five-inch pieces
Extra lean 4% fat deli-sliced ham
Low-fat hard or semisoft cheese
1½ oz, Monterey Jack
2 slice(s), about 2 thin pieces sliced lengthwise
Frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup(s), leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for dressing.
- Split each of the baguette pieces open crosswise. Pull out some of the soft center of bread.
- Drizzle dressing onto both sides of baguette pieces. Layer ham, cheese and gherkin slices inside each sandwich, dividing ingredients evenly. Top each with arugula.
- Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-low heat.
- Arrange sandwiches in skillet and cover with a lid that fits inside and can be pressed down onto sandwiches. Set something heavy on lid, such as a cast-iron skillet (turned over, if necessary, to keep it stable) to flatten sandwiches.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, until bread is brown and crispy. Turn sandwiches and grill second side in same manner, until cheese has melted. Cut each sandwich in half. Serve immediately.